P&G Professional asked over one thousand American consumers how cleanliness affects their experience, their willingness to tip, and even their likelihood of returning to your establishment. Here are the results:
- Six out of 7 of Americans think it’s important for restaurants & hotels to deep clean year-round.
- 95% of Americans say they would return more often to a restaurant or hotel they think is clean vs, one they think is not clean (86% strongly agree).
- Women are significantly more likely to strongly agree with this vs. men (89% vs. 84%).
- 97% of Americans say that cleanliness is important when eating out in a restaurant or staying in a hotel (89% [9 in 10] say it’s very important).
- Americans aged 45-64 are much more likely to feel this is important than those aged 18-34.
- Those without children under 18 in the household are much more likely to agree this is important than those who have children.
- Women are significantly more likely than men to say this is very important (94% vs. 85%)
- 98% (almost all) of Americans would complain about bad service, dirty sheets, dirty plates, unclean toilets or bad odor at a restaurant, bar or hotel
- Men are much more likely than women to complain about bad service at a restaurant, bar or hotel (33% vs. 23%).
Four out of 5 of Americans say the overall cleanliness of a hotel, bar or restaurant is important in their decision to leave a tip with the bill.
- Those aged 45+ are significantly more likely to say this as compared to their younger counterparts.
- Interestingly, those with a household income of $100k or more were much more likely than those with lower household incomes to say that overall cleanliness is not at all important when considering tip.
- 1 in 4 Americans would complain to staff if a restaurant or hotel was below the standard of cleanliness they would expect, with women being much more likely to do so than men (30% vs 20%).
- 1 in 5 would walk out.
- Approximately 1 in 3 would never return (35%).
- Almost all Americans (98%) would have a negative reaction (walk out, complain, never return, etc.)